BRAINBOOSTER PODCAST with HARRY ELLIS, 2017 BRITISH AMATEUR CHAMPION
A fascinating insight into overcoming adversity to become a Champion
After winning perhaps the biggest competition in amateur golf, Harry Ellis talks about how he overcame genuine setbacks off the golf course and how specifically he got back on track.
Harry lost his mother to cancer at an early age, then lost his game and his belief. He talks specifically on how he turned that around.
With great candour, Harry talks about how he fell into the expectation trap.
Becoming a champion very early then getting away from key principles.
How he lost sight of what was really important but, more importantly, how he got back on track.
A wonderful example of a young man approaching life with an attitude that can be a lesson for us all in any area of life.
Harry explains how he set about a programme of mental, technical and physical improvement.
If you are a golfer, you will gain a lot from this but the principles are applicable to ANY sport, to any business, to life itself.
During this podcast we discuss :
- Seeking help when you are struggling mentally
- Recognizing you need some help
- The value of talking about and writing down your issues
- How seeing mental health the same as a physical injury gives you permission to seek help and recover
- The start of the comeback
- The long road back to belief in yourself
- The importance of each individual day
- Being in charge of YOUR process
- Owning the coaching you receive as opposed to just passively following someone else’s advice
- How it is vital that you have the flexibility to do what you need to do each day to get the best from yourself
- How winning is about dealing with less than your best
- How to still get the job done with less than your A game
- How a strong worth ethic leads to freedom when you play
- How to keep going even when it looks like you have no chance to win
- In the heat of the moment, keeping your mind on what is here and now as opposed to getting lost in what ‘may’ be
- How we can look at ‘nervousness’ through a completely different lens
- Seeing feelings in our body as energy we can use
- How to embrace your discomfort if you are going to grow as an athlete and a person
Enjoying the process of becoming a great player
Harry and his THREE keys to success!!
LISTEN TO THE FULL PODCAST HERE